Recently, there have been reports on the Internet of the indefinite closure of Mount Everest and the permanent closure of Mount Everest. According to the administration center for mountaineering of the general administration of sport of China and the sports bureau of the Tibet autonomous region, the “announcement” quoted in the report only prohibits tourists from entering the core area of the national nature reserve of Mount Everest above the Rongbuk Monastery, and does not involve any climbing activities.
As the world’s highest peak, Mount Everest attracts worldwide attention. The ecological environment of Mount Everest is very fragile. To protect the environment of Mount Everest, the state general administration of sports mountaineering sports management center and the Tibet autonomous region sports bureau earnestly implement “the environmental protection law of the People’s Republic of China “and other laws and regulations, in strict accordance with the” domestic mountaineering management method “the relevant provisions of the regulations on the mountain of Tibet autonomous region, highlight the environmental mountaineering and ensure sustainable development of mountaineering.
In recent years, the administration center for mountaineering of the general administration of sport of China and the sports bureau of Tibet autonomous region have organized and carried out cleaning activities on Mount Everest for many times and made great efforts to improve and strengthen the environmental protection of Mount Everest mountaineering. In 2018, for example, a series of measures have been taken to protect the environment on Mount Everest.
- A special campaign was launched to clean up garbage on Mount Everest in the spring of 2018.
- To conscientiously implement the regulations of the Tibet autonomous region on mountaineering.
- They study the development of “Everest mountaineering waste management measures.”
- Initiated the establishment of Tibet Himalayan mountain environmental protection foundation.
- Increase publicity and education efforts. The sports bureau of the Tibet autonomous region has trained mountain people and mountaineers in the knowledge and skills of mountain environmental protection, and issued them with environmental protection knowledge manuals to guide all parties to participate in, pool their wisdom and make concerted efforts to do a good job in the environmental protection of Mount Everest.
- To negotiate and determine the environmental management area of Mount