Are you opting for professional cosmetic teeth whitening services? If yes, there are certain things you should expect from the treatment. Read on to find out.
Teeth whitening procedure usually involves the use of hydrogen peroxide solution. If you go for an at-home whitening treatment, the products recommended to you by your dentist is likely to be in a very low dose to give you gradual results. Whereas, when you opt for cosmetic teeth whitening services at a professional teeth whitening clinic, the solution is stronger and offers more effective results.
Professional teeth whitening services are done using power bleaching or laser. Your dentist might also ask you to wear a special shield to safeguard your gums. The concentrated hydrogen peroxide-based gel is then applied directly to the teeth and is activated with light or heat. The longer you keep the gel on your teeth, the whiter they become. But, if the percentage of peroxide in the whitening gel is higher, it should be applied to the teeth for a shorter duration. Keeping the gel for a longer time can dehydrate the tooth and also enhances sensitivity.
What to expect from the procedure?
Cosmetic teeth whitening services is not a complicated treatment, but it does require proper training to avoid injury to the gums. The procedure can take anywhere from 1 hour or 2 to complete.
There are several steps to performing professional teeth whitening.
- Before starting the procedure, the dentist will first note down the current shade of your teeth.
- Your teeth will be polished with a grainy material known as pumice to remove the plaque from the surface.
- Retractors may be also used to keep your lips, tongue, and cheeks away from the whitening solution.
- A barrier will then be placed along your gums to protect them from the exposure of the solution.
- Next, your teeth would be coated with the whitening gel on the front surface. Once coated, the gel would be left on your teeth for about 40 to 60 minutes depending on the quantity of peroxide.
- When the optimum color of the teeth has been reached, your teeth would be rinsed thoroughly. Moreover, a fluoride application may be then used to help sooth down the sensitivity.
- Additional checkups would be rescheduled until the desired shade of the teeth is achieved.
Upon completion of the whitening procedure, your dentist would recommend you to avoid foods and beverages such as tomato sauce, coffee, tea, yellow mustard, candies, black grapes- primarily all items that have a higher level of pigment.
Always remember that professional tooth whitening is not for everyone, and is great for cases of discoloration of teeth due to the consumption of foods and beverages, smoking, and aging. So, if your tooth is discolored because of overexposure to fluoride, inorganic substances and antibiotics then tooth whitening procedure is certainly not for you. Plus, its also not recommended for people with sensitive gums and teeth, and those who have transparent teeth as a cause of aging.