The last decade saw a huge growth in quality SEO services as the internet became a key place to promote businesses/brands. The on-page SEO guide addresses four pillars that hold your content upright. They are:
- Content (Quality, Keyword Research & Use, Freshness, Direct Answers)
- Keyword Selection(Keyword Research Mistakes & Tips)
- Architecture (HTTPS & SSL, URL, Mobile friendly, Duplicate Content, Easy to crawl)
- HTML (Title tags, Meta Description, Subheads, HTML Improvements)
A brief overview of on-page SEO ranking factors should guide you to invest your effort better and improve your SERP ranking.
1. Content- How to write exciting contents
A well-written content forms the backbone of any website. No amount of on-page SEO 2020 is sufficient if the information itself is of no value.
- Writing well-researched contents requires prior knowledge and the ability to predict the readers’ intention.
- Brainstorm new ways of teaching old ideas. Become a teacher and who delivers useful content to their readers. Address answers that naturally pop in your audience’s mind while thinking about the topic.
- Use relevant keywords that complement your title and use them strategically throughout your work.
- Creating in-depth, up-to-date content increases your credibility as a website that consistently delivers reliable information.
2. Keyword Selection – How to select keywords for on-page SEO guide
Remember that 90% of times, a website’s SEO is dependent on keywords, and everything one writes should be somehow connected to it.
- Avoid/discard keywords that provide higher ranks at the cost of credibility. One may offer second hand books at low prices. However, if one is ranking number one for “free used books”, he/she will be attracting customers looking for free stuff. They have the traffic, but their sales go down because that’s not their target audience.
- Capitalise on search intents rather than on keywords. Long-tailed keywords have low traffic (most are reserved for websites that have been around for years), and popular keywords are hard to compete against. Creating content-based on popular ‘search intents’ provides better opportunities for pulling traffic.
3. HTML – Optimise your page source
Google crawls your page source and not the actual content. Therefore, back-end optimisation is critical to ensure higher rankings in on-page SEO 2020.
- There should never be more than one H1 tag in any article. Make sure to assign proper H2 and H3 tags for subheads accordingly.
- Optimized Meta descriptions must contain the keyword and provide a concise yet compelling call-to-action.
- Find what’s wrong with your website with Google’s Webmaster Tools. It provides HTML Improvements pointing out the issues that need fixing.
4. Architecture – Structuring your page
A well-planned out on-page SEO guide assists a reader instead of letting them wander.
- Google actively advise users not to trust pages that do not have an SSL certification. Even if a website contains valuable information, such warning signs will instantly discourage the user from going any further.
- Place the keyword in the URL slug.
- All websites that are not mobile friendly (loads faster, content visibility) do not get high ranks in SERP.
This on-page SEO guide briefly introduces you to the practices you need to adapt to create optimised content. Each of the pillars branches out to several topics, which you will learn as you experiment with your webpage.