Amuze your guests with large, broad, and flat pasta noodles also referred to as pappardelle pasta. Originated from Tuscany, fresh pappardelle pasta is usually served in a large bowl. It is ideal for thick sauces or can also be served under stew or pot roast because of its absorbent and sturdy texture. Here is the recipe to make authentic Pappardelle pasta at home:
1. Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
2. Sweet and salty Italian sausage: 1 pound
3. Diced onion: 1
4. Peeled and diced carrot: 1
6. Dry white wine: 1/2 cup
7. Tomato puree: 1 1/2 cups
8. Parmesan cheese: 2-inch
9. Fresh pappardelle: 1 pound
10. Freshly chopped basil: 3 tablespoons
11. 00 flour: 1 1/2 cups
12. Semolina flour: 1/4 cup
13. Kosher salt: 1/4 teaspoon
14. Egg: 1
15. Egg yolk: 8
Preparation of Pappardelle:
1. Combine 00 flour, salt, and semolina flour. Mix them together.
2. Now add egg and egg yolks and slowly start to incorporate the flour into the eggs with a fork to form a rough dough.
3. You can add water if the dough seems dry or hard.
4. Lightly flour the workspace and pour the dough onto it.
5. Knead the dough thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Flatten the dough into an even square and wrap it in a plastic sheet to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
7. Partition the dough into 3 pieces.
8. Dust one of the three parts with semolina flour and flatten the dough to 1/4 inch.
9. Roll the dough with the machine.
10. Fold the dough in thirds and dust with flour.
11. Reduce the setting to send it again through the machine.
12. Continue to send the dough through the machine and reduce the setting every time until the desired thickness is achieved.
13. Lay the sheet on the workspace and dust with flour. Use a knife or any other cutting tool to cut strips of 1 inch by 10 inches.
14. Dust the strips with flour and continue to cut the remaining strips.
1. Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium flame.
2. Add oil and sausage and cook and stirring the sausage for about 7 minutes until it begin to get brown.
3. Add onion, carrot, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to cook until the vegetables are almost cooked for about 4 minutes.
4. Deglaze with the wine, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom and reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the quantity is reduced to half, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato puree and cheese, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Boil water in a large pot and season the water generously with salt. Add Pappardelle pasta and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep 1 cup of pasta water separate and drain the rest.
7. Remove the Parmesan rind from the sauce and add the pasta to the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining pasta with the Parmesan cheese and basil.
8. Add 1/2 cup pasta water to coat well maintaining a light sauce. Serve with more Parmesan cheese on top.
Search for where to buy pappardelle pasta on online stores to be delivered at your doorsteps!