A firewall is an important security product that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic, and allows or blocks data packets according to a series of security rules. Firewalls can be used in software applications installed on servers or computers and physical hardware devices connected to internal networks. Firewalls are usually located between trusted and untrusted networks. But what is NGFW or next-generation firewall, and how is it different from traditional firewalls?
What is an NGFW?
NGFW or next-generation firewall as a firewall FortiGate is a network security device that provides functions beyond traditional firewalls. Next-generation firewalls provide additional features such as cloud threat intelligence, application analysis and control, and integrated intrusion prevention.
NGFW can fight modern threats, such as advanced malware and application layer attacks, built-in intrusion prevention and threat information sources. NGFW and traditional firewall NGFW usually has all the functions of traditional firewall, namely port blocking, proxy, filtering, and packet inspection.
There are four key points to consider when purchasing next-generation firewalls, including:
- Comprehensive network visibility – NGFW must provide a holistic view of user activity and complete context awareness so that they can be aware of threats on the network, the originality of equipment, threats, and active websites and applications.
- Fast detection time – The standard threat detection time is 100-200 days. Fortunately, suppose that the next-generation firewall can detect threats in a few seconds, detect security breaches in hours or minutes, and know when to prioritize alerts to take action against threats.
- Advanced security and breach prevention – The main function of NGFW is to prevent security breaches and protect your network and organization. It should include advanced features for rapid detection of complex malware, built-in IPS for detecting potential threats, a world-class threat intelligence organization, and URL filtering capabilities for enforcing URLs.
- Flexible management options – At its core, your next-generation firewall should be customized according to your personal needs, configured to suit your needs, manage any use case, and be able to choose from a variety of performance speeds.
- Block malware – Unlike traditional firewalls, NGFW can block malware and threats. Traditional firewalls have never done this before, and they can improve the security of your network and organization.
- Better hardware – In addition, next-generation firewalls are better equipped than traditional firewalls, ultimately providing users with advanced Persi Stent Threats (APT) to protect against any threats to the greatest extent.
- Cheap option – Although NGFW has advanced features, its cost may be low. A cost-effective solution for enterprises to update basic security and firewall systems.
A reliable Fortinet network firewall is essential to any business. In today’s environment, threats to personal devices and larger networks are emerging every day. With the flexibility of next-generation firewalls, you can further protect the most important and critical devices and organizations from intruders.
NGFWs like FortiGate firewall inspect inbound and outbound network traffic and prevent potential threats. Protect your network from potential cybercrime.